European countries are increasingly becoming more diverse. We currently see an increase in students with migrant and refugee backgrounds in European school systems. This is creating obstacles but also opportunities within educational instutions across the continent. In this project we will reach out and support teachers – particularly educators working with youth with immigrant and refugee backgrounds – in fostering mutual understanding and respect in the classroom.
In fostering enhanced social inclusion, mutual understanding and respect among young people in the classroom, and providing real, concrete skills and training for those educators on the front lines of the influx of new faces and cultures, we know we are helping to build a more cohesive European society, with an enhanced socially inclusive climate.
The project wants to provide trainings and promote social cohesion and the competencies of teachers in enhancing social inclusion, finding solutions in existing experiences and exploring methodologies and approaches.
The project aims to:
- increase abilities in the area of pedagogical approaches and methodologies to promote social inclusion in the classroom;
- promote the exchange of good practices in enhancing the inclusion of all students, especially those with migrant and refugeen backgrounds;
- create options for more inclusive classrooms and schools.
The project wants to develop four Intellectual Outputs of different types (Reports, Guides, DVDs, Internet Platform) in a period of twent-four months.
- Target Groups Report;
- Guide for Teachers;
- Toolkit for School Leaders;
- Online Teachers Course.
The impact is intended to be at a high a level among participants trainers, target group, partner organisations, and relevant stakeholders. The impact of the project is connected to two main aspects, those being the goals that the project wants to achieve in the project and the methods that the partnership uses to achieve these goals.
The project plans to:
- provide educators with a learning space to share better practices and gain creative and innovative skills in promoting socially inclusive education;
- encourage and provide a platform for the educators to take part in solution building in addressing issues for inclusion of especially disadvantaged youth with immigrant and refugee backgrounds and design strategies for the classroom;
- bring school leaders into dialogue about promotion of social inclusion in schools;
- engage relevant educational authorities in the countries of Denmark, Greece, Italy, and Germany, in prioritizing socially inclusive education;
- identify existing research and connect it to real practice and experiment with it to meet real needs in the classroom;
- encourage and inspire the educators to play a critical role, in which they feel fully competent in ensuring social cohesion through education in their learning communities;
- create a dialogue space and solidarity between learning communities regarding inclusion strategies in youth education;
- 8. increase awareness of the positive impacts of immigration in Europe and make a useful contribution to ensuring social cohesion in European learning communities and societies.